This week I think I want to blog about the video we watched in class last night. In a way, I want to clear the air about my feelings on this subject. First, I do believe women are becoming a greater source of consumer power and a greater influence on media in this decade then in passed decades. Also, I believe a lot of media will change when it comes to mass media and the images that we see everyday. (That always happens) With that, I also believe that the way current media groups try to place people in certain groups or categories will change as well and needs to change. I believe the media will become even more personalized for each individual consumer. Unfortunately, I don’t think there will be this vast and sudden change in media and how we sell to certain demo graphics. This will instead be a gradual change, but I do admit it will happen faster then any other change we have seen in the past. I also believe that the objectification of certain groups, like women, will die hard and not go away as easily as the video projected. Many people have had these stereo types drilled into them so well that most don’t even know that they are stereo types.
I agree with you that media will become more personalized for the consumer. Media and advertising is already moving fast towards this. I notice if I search something on google and then go on youtube later, there is usually an ad for what I had searched earlier. In a way its kind of creepy to know that we are so closely monitored, however this is only the start to the mass media change.
ReplyDeleteHi Mike,
ReplyDeleteI agree with much of what you said about the many changes on the horizon with regards to consumerism, and how it will become more personalized. You inidcate however that you don't think there will be a vast and sudden change, yet you say that it will happen faster than any other change we have seen in the past. Then to many that are used to the slow and gradual could this quicker pace not seem vast and sudden... just a thought?
You are being watched. Those of us in the industry think this is not really a bad thing.
ReplyDelete